15 hours- 613 hours total-
Since the last post I've made quite a bit of progress. It will be difficult to tell from the photographs, but progress none the less.
Over the past two weekends I've attached the vertical stabilizer, the stabilator, the AST and the pitch trim assembly. Each had their separate challenges. I'll start with the vertical. I found that it was best to follow assembly directions. Surprise! Don't tighten the mounting screws until you're got all screws started. It makes it much easier to line everything up. I had problems with one nutplate assembly. The forward lower left. I tried and tried to get the bolt started, but no. Final had to remove the assembly. Removed the offending nutplate, slightly enlarged the bolt hole and then reattached the nutplate. Easy, but time consuming. After that everything fit and I torqued the assembly.
It was at this point that I decided to move to something a little easier. My first aircraft service bulliten. 14-12-06, F-1206F Bearing Bracket Cracks. Cracks were discovered on Van's demonstraor model after years and many hours of flying. I was at a point in the assembly that made installation of this service bulletin a no-brainer. I have pictures of the replacement assembly prior to installation and then once installed. Pretty simple compared to the vertical and stabilator install.
Pictures don't really do the install justice. I've got to do something with the wire bundle. One wire is about an inch shorter that the rest, so when you twist the wires it looks a little crappy.